ABOUT THIS BLOG

With a long family history that goes back many generations in this area it pains me to see the impact that government neglect is having on our area. The two major parties are simply not up to the job anymore. I can no longer sit back and watch this happen and have decided to run for the state seat of Cairns.

It is time we had a voice in parliament again, not puppets of faceless party machines from Canberra. By posting media releases on this blog the people of Cairns can determine if we have policies and concepts that they agree with.

I ask you to join me in ensuring that Cairns and Far North Queensland gets a fair go.































Wednesday, October 5, 2011

dairy farmers hurting

Recently I posted on here about the pressures on FNQ farmers caused by the price cutting of the major supermarkets and flow on effects for farmgate pricing. My knowledge comes from actually speaking to people who know what's going on firsthand.

Someone questioned my claims of 0.45c/l and impacts that the pricing was having on farmers. It wasn't worth responding as I knew what I'd been told. Without their 10seconds of fame they then went on to other sites to bag me so that's fine.
Today though I came across this so let's start here-
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/floods-price-war-hurt-farmers-inquiry-20111006-1latz.html?utm_source=RoamMedia&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Queensland_Online&utm_content=news

Then I came across this-
http://nqr.farmonline.com.au/news/nationalrural/agribusiness-and-general/general/milk-wars-cost-18000-a-farmer/2315032.aspx?src=rss&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Queensland_Online&utm_content=news&utm_source=RoamMedia

Seems I was close after all. I was told it was .45c/l. This story says national average is .46c/l. Wow 0.01c off, but then that's the AVERAGE means some farmers may be getting less than that. Would that be, I don't know FNQ farmers as I was told?

The price war by major supermarkets only discounting their no-name milk instead of branded milk that uses FNQ produced milk is hurting our economy.The supermarkets are trying to strangle out the competition so they can raise prices like they did with fuel.

5 comments:

  1. Darren, thanks for denying me my seconds of assumed fame fame however ......

    "Someone questioned my claims of 0.45c/l and impacts that the pricing was having on farmers. It wasn't worth responding as I knew what I'd been told. Without their 10seconds of fame they then went on to other sites to bag me so that's fine."

    "Seems I was close after all. I was told it was .45c/l. This story says national average is .46c/l. Wow 0.01c off, but then that's the AVERAGE means some farmers may be getting less than that. Would that be, I don't know FNQ farmers as I was told?"

    Darren, I believe the tableland is above the National average at 51c/litre as reported by ABC Rural FNQ? So, what were you told? You can find lots of info at the Dairy Australia site! You specifically stated local farmers were offered 45c/litre by Coles which is factually wrong on two counts?

    Was such miscomprehension and verballing a skill you learnt at Qld Police? I hope not we deserve better!

    Happy to debate ....

    Mark Beath

    P.S. Your comments on petrol and predatory pricing are wrong also where margins on the Asian benchmark have not changed since before Coles even entered the petrol market??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark,
    Well there we have it folks.I am wrong about petrol.None of us are getting ripped off.None of us are paying exorbitant prices. None of us got ripped off when they raise the price of fuel if $AUD goes down but don't drop price if $AUD goes up. So thanks Mark I'll remember that next time I hand over my hard earned when I fuel up safe in the knowledge how well off I am.
    Oh and you're right again Mark, every copper in Qld must be corrupt and engage in verballing because they disagree with you.
    As to prices, I got the .45c from tableland farmers.That's what I was told.The price you quote is what was offered. Now the contracts for major supermarkets using FNQ milk were canned and they have been choking them out through the price cuts of no-name milk instead of branded milk which uses FNQ produced milk the demand is ever decreasing and they know they can pressure farmers to take a lower price or nothing.
    This price cutting of only the no-name brand milk is hurting FNQ farmers, small corner stores etc and will have repercussions for the entire FNQ economy. They, and you, can spin it anyway they like but those supermarkets are responsible for that price being offered to farmers.
    There's three on the ballot so far. If you think King or Lesina are better going to represent the needs of Cairns,knock yourself out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Page 9 todays Cairns Post "Milk war sending farmers broke". Their words not mine.

    Senate inquiry hearing-$77million taken out of the milk supply chain.Their words not mine

    "Dairy farmers rely on the margin of branded milk sales for profitability".Their words not mine

    Just saying. But I could be wrong.

    My words-If supermarkets want to sell milk for $1/litre, sell the branded milk at that price and let supermarket take the loss if it's "all about the customer". With a 21% increase in profits in middle of GFC they can afford it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not forgotten more coming when time allows! Yes you are wrong, recheck Dairy prices after recent renegotions ..... and fuel. You continue to do yourself no credit by spruiking public bar myths and promoting community ignorance as a political agenda....

    Mark Beath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your opinion mate and happy to hear it.

    I stand by my opinion that major supermarkets selling unbranded milk at discount prices is hurting our FNQ dairy industry.

    ReplyDelete